Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2013

Yes...They are all emotional.

Last night I again had the opportunity to present a Quilt of Valor to another Vietnam Veteran...for those who follow the blog you know I have a soft spot for those of us that were fortunate enough to return home, a home that was not very receptive to those serving the country that we love. Wounded by 'friendly fire' he took a bullet in the face that would result in reconstructive surgeries that ran from 1968 thru 1985. Surgeries that would lead to meeting the Doctor responsible for creating Operation Smile; a meeting that would provide him with the opportunity to go on mission with Operation Smile to Thailand and to Vietnam...this time under very different circumstances. What made this one even more emotional, if that's possible, was that I know the recipient...we both belong to American Legion, American Legion Riders, share a love for motorcycles, the open road a good 'greasy spoon' and as young boys found ourselves standing on some 'yellow foot prints' at a Marine Corps Boot Camp...Bob in the East at Parris Island while I on the West Coast took what Parris Island Marines call a summer vacation in San Diego...which leads to the title of Hollywood Marine. Go figure. I just wish my Drill Instructors had been made aware they were suppose to go easier on us. Throughout his life after the Marine Corps you would and still will find Bob helping other veterans and service members in any way he possibly can...and whether he is helping move something, planning a visit, cutting down a troublesome tree at a veterans house or just giving one a couple of bucks each and every action is from the heart...I know of nothing about this man that isn't real.
As the presentation was about to begin I spoke briefly about how I would make every effort to keep my emotions in check...I lied.

I have been privileged and honored to make presentations to service members and veterans that have been  'touched by war' this one will always carry a special place in my soul.

It was also my honor to stand with other members of the Tidewater Quilters Guild who took the time to attend...as the QOVF Region 9 Virginia, Regional Coordinator sharing in this moment I was twice honored and privileged in the same evening...Elaine, Gussie, Barbara and Charoltte thank you. To the many women and men of the Tidewater Quilters Guild volunteer their time and talents to support the Quilts of Valor Foundation you exemplify what they stand for...It is my sincere desire that each member of TQG have the opportunity to witness a presentation and feel the love, caring and emotion that a QOV fills a room with.

To all of those that have served and are serving...thank you...and in case, just in case it slipped the minds of those you committed to defend and protect...Welcome Home. There is no mistaking...This foundation is not about politics...it's about the people.

And Bob...Semper Fi brother!!!

Gussie (TQG on left), me and Bob the recipient
 
Gussie and Bob

Bob commenting on my failure to control my emotions

Bob asking me for a Kleenex...big tough guy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment